Welcome to the ArchiveThe Software Archive, a project run by Nathan Tech, is aimed at uniting previously scattered information, making the lives of visually impaired computer users easier and more accessible.
It is a central database of programs independantly submitted by users and developers organised into an easy-to-follow format with advice regarding accessibility attached.
When considering the structure of this project, there were a number of key points that needed to be answered:
- Who: the archive is aimed specifically at visually impaired computer users, with a heavy emphasis on screen reader users.
- What: the database should only contain software that can be used on a modern machine without adaptations such as having to install third party libraries.
- How: The database will be managed through a review process, where each submission is independantly checked by the moderation team and then automated checkers ensure links stay up-to-date.
- Where: the database itself will be hosted here, on Nathan Tech. The software within though will not be hosted with us, as they are not owned by this company unless otherwise stated or classed as abandonwear.
- When: This database was launched early 2020 and we intend to grow it from there.
- Why: We wanted to create this project to unite information that was previously sometimes rather difficult to find, and therefore improve the lives of visually impaired computer users.
- Enter the Archive
- Our Software Ratings.
- Submit to the Archive.
- Submit to the archive quick method.
- What is a screen reader?
- Software Archive Terms and conditions
How does it work?
- A user or developer submits a piece of software to us, tells us about it, and tells us how they have found using it to be.
- We verify this information through the shown URL with the submission.
- We test the accesibility of the program and verify that it is in line with our rating systems.
- We confirm the submission and notify the person who submitted it of their success.
- Users download it and enjoy!
Thank you to our testers.Thank you to all the people who helped test The Archive and who gave innicial ideas and reports before we went live:
See a problem? Enter a report here.
Think we could add something? Submit a suggestion here.